Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Review - Flying Squirrel Pizza Co.

Flying Squirrel Pizza Co.

Food: 
Ambiance: 
Service: 

I wasn't really impressed with Flying Squirrel Pizza Co.  I critique pizza mainly on the crust, and Flying Squirrel's crust just wasn't very good.  It was kind of too chewy, dry, and pretty bland.  Despite being a thin crust, the outer edge was kind of gross.  But I loved the toppings, so that's why I upped it to 2 stars for the food.  Crust, maybe 1 star.  The crust was even worse the next day.


Garlic Roasted Pulled Pork Pizza $19.50

Flying Squirrel's Garlic Roasted Pulled Pork Pizza with cilantro (on the side, for the non-cilantro eater in our group), red onion and Cotija cheese and fresh lime - I liked this one the most, out of the three I tried.  It could have probably used more cheese or a sauce base, it ended up being kind of dry, mostly due to the crust.  The flavor of the pork was great.  A little sweet, a little garlicky.  You do lose the flavor of the Cotija in the pork, and I didn't notice much lime, but it was good!

Mo Le Tengo Pizza $18.50

Flying Squirrel's Mo Le Tengo Pizza was on the specials menu.  One of my favorite cured meats from Salumi is their Mole Salami.  It it a little spicy from the chiles with light hints of chocolate.  This pizza had thin slices of Salumi's Mole Salami and tomatoes, with marinara and mozzarella.  Again, the crust kind of ruins this concoction, I loved the toppings though!

The Charles Pizza $20

Next we ordered Flying Squirrel's The Charles Pizza with mushrooms only on half, for a non-mushroom eater in our group.  I liked the charles, again, great toppings, bad crust.  The Charles is topped with Pepperoni, pork sausage, black olives and mushrooms with marinara and mozzarella.  

Service was great, despite the 2 person staff, so although it took awhile to receive our pizzas, we entertained ourselves, and we were ok with the wait. The server checked in with us frequently, and apologized for the delays.  She was really nice and even took $10 off our bill for the inconvenience.

I don't know that I would return on my own accord, however if I were invited to Flying Squirrel, I wouldn't avoid it.    It may be worth a try if you aren't particular about your crust.

Flying Squirrel Pizza Co
Ballard (located at The Sunset Tavern)
5433 Ballard Ave NW
Seattle, WA 98107

Hours: Everyday 5:00pm - 9:30pm


Flying Squirrel Pizza Co
Seward Park
4920 S Genesee St
Seattle, WA 98118

Hours: Sunday - Thursday 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Flying Squirrel Pizza Co, at The Sunset on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment