Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Definitive Guide to Pizza at Serious Pie

For pizza in Seattle, I have decided that Serious Pie is my favorite. I mentioned in a previous post that I believe that pizza is available in different categories. Frozen, delivery, traditional (Neapolitan) and gourmet. Serious Pie is definitely gourmet, and not necessarily for someone in search of traditional pizza.

Since moving to Seattle from the suburbs about 6 years ago, I have been exposed to a whole different level of pizza. Goodbye Domino's, Papa John's, Pizza Hut. Ick. Actually, I didn't really love pizza until I moved to Seattle. My SO loves pizza. Zeek's, Pagliacci, Via Tribunali, Veraci, you name it, we've tried it. Then Serious Pie opened and all of my pizza preferences shifted.

This is a list of every pie that Serious Pie has to offer at both locations, Downtown and South Lake Union. I prefer SLU, only because I have never encountered a wait time, and the space is larger, not as intimate as the Downtown location. But there are some pies, including my favorite Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta and Caramelized Onions, that are only available Downtown and vice versa.

The Pies of Serious Pie:

Brussels Sprouts, Smoked Pancetta and Caramelized Onions $17
The Brussels Sprouts, Smoked Pancetta and Caramelized Onions pie is only available at the Downtown location, it may occasionally make a cameo at SLU. This one is my favorite of all of the pizzas I have tried here. The brussels sprouts are blanched or steamed, but still crunchy. There is no sauce on this pie, just the ricotta creme on top. I love the smoky flavor of the pancetta and the sweetness of the caramelized onions.

Buffalo Mozzarella and San Marzano Tomatoes $16
The Buffalo Mozzarella and San Marzano Tomatoes pie is available at both locations. I have only tried this once, the first time I went to Serious Pie. It was good but the others have been so much better! I love San Marzano tomatoes, and for even canned tomatoes, I don't use anything else at home. They are sweet and tart, perfect. The only thing I didn't love about this pie, is the herb topping - It was too salty and overpowering. Perhaps the person that made mine had a heavy hand, but I haven't really gone back to this pie.

Guanciale, Soft Egg and Arugula $16
The Guanciale, Soft Egg and Arugula pie is available at both locations. At first, I was apprehensive about pizza with an egg on top. I ended up pleasantly surprised. The egg is cooked over easy, and I think there are 2 eggs on each pie. The Arugula is tossed with lemon, and it's very fresh but a bit overpowering. I bit into a lemon seed, and that was kind of gross. The Guanciale (Italian cured meat) is kind of non-existent, I had to focus pretty hard to notice it. Overall, I don't know if I will re-visit this pie. I suppose if I were to order it again, I would ask for light Arugula.

Meyer Lemon, Saracena Olives, Buffalo Mozzarella $16
The Meyer Lemon, Saracena Olives, and Buffalo Mozzarella pie is available at the Downtown location. I haven't tried this one yet....

Penn Cove Clams, House Pancetta and Lemon Thyme $17
The Penn Cove Clams, House Pancetta and Lemon Thyme pie is available at both locations. This is another favorite. The taste of the clams is subtle, but sweet, then the salty pancetta and fresh lemon thyme make the perfect balance of flavors! I like to sprinkle red pepper flakes on this one. Yum!

Proscuitto Cotta, Green Garlic Pesto and Fontina $17
The Proscuitto Cotta, Green Garlic Pesto and Fontina pie is available at the South Lake Union location. This pie is a little on the oily side, likely because of the olive oil in the pesto. The thick hearty slices of cooked Proscuitto are amazing! And the Fontina cheese adds a great layer of flavor. The garlic is intense, so this is definitely a pie for the garlic lovers!

Roasted Apples, Gorgonzola Dolce, Toasted Pistachios $16
The Roasted Apples, Gorgonzola Dolce and Toasted Pistachios pie is available at the South Lake Union location. I haven't tried this one yet....


Sweet Fennel Sausage, Roasted Peppers and Provolone $17
The Sweet Fennel Sausage, Roasted Peppers and Provolone pie is available at both locations. This is another favorite, when I feel like having a more traditional pizza with "regular" toppings. This pie has an abundance of toppings, the sausage is perfectly seasoned with just a hint of the anise flavored fennel. The peppers offer a fresh and sweet flavor. If you like sausage on your pizza, or if you are afraid of some of the unique toppings on the others, you really can't go wrong with this one!

Yellowfoot Chanterelles and Truffle Cheese $16
The Yellowfood Chanterelles and Truffle Cheese pie is available at both locations. I wanted to love this one. My SO doesn't eat mushrooms, but I love them. As a result, I rarely cook with mushrooms, so when given the opportunity to eat them while dining out, I jump at the chance! Unfortunately this pizza underwhelmed me. The Chanterelles were a little too slimy, maybe a little overcooked for my liking. The truffle flavor was very subtle, and paired with the subtle flavor of the Chanterelles, this pizza ended up tasting a little bland to me. I probably won't order this one again, but it does compliment the Sweet Fennel Sausage pizza well!


Yukon Gold Potato, Rosemary, and Pecorino $15

The Yukon Gold Potato, Rosemary and Pecorino pie is available at both locations. This is my SO's favorite pie at Serious Pie. It's a little boring for my taste, but it really is one of the best potato pizzas I have ever tried. The Potatoes are sliced thin, but still have a bite to them. They aren't overcooked, which is fabulous! The salty Pecorino cheese and the perfume of the rosemary are great accompaniments, and neither of these take away from the earthy flavor of the potatoes. Really great pizza for someone who likes to keep things simple!

Additional reviews of Serious Pie can be found at the following:

Review - Serious Pie - South Lake Union
Review - Serious Pie SLU pt. 2

I also love Tom Douglas's cookbooks for inspiration and recipes for some of the famous dishes are even available in the books! I've provided links to the ones I own below...




Serious Pie on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment