Friday, March 11, 2011

Review - Palace Kitchen

Palace Kitchen

Food:
Ambiance:
Service:

I love to try new restaurants, and they seem to pop up too fast for me to keep up. However, there are a few places that we return to time and time again. Palace Kitchen is one of them. We have dined here numerous times over the past several years, and we will keep coming back. The food is always consistent, and unique twists to their staple dishes help to change it up a bit!


I love dining here during summer when they open the large windows in front, it's like dining al fresco, but still indoors. At night, the dim lighting throughout the restaurant is calming and cozy. I love to squirrel away in one of the cozy booths in the back where you can watch and hear the bustle in the kitchen but still have a conversation without have to scream across the table. This restaurant is truly "home" to me.

Palace Burger Royal and Fries $15

If you are looking for some of the best french fries in the city, you must try the Palace Kitchen fries! They are what Dick's soggy grease fries wish they could be.. The fries are crispy, fresh, and thin cut. I think my SO has always ordered the burger, I don't know if he has tried anything else here. He's hooked. And for good reason! I write this with caution, but the Palace Burger Royal may be the very best burger in the city. I've tried Lunchbox Laboratory, meh - too greasy. I've been to Red Mill tons of times, and the Red Mill burger has gone downhill in the past few years, it's almost gross now. If I am going to consume a massive amount of calories on a burger, it better be worth it. They cook the patty to medium rare by default, but they always let you know this when taking your order. I don't care to see too much pink in a burger, so I go for medium, or medium well. You can add bacon and/or cheese for an additional cost. T o top it off, you can have them add Beecher's Flagship Cheese on the burger. OMG. If you haven't tried the combo of a Palace Burger Royal with Beecher's Flagship Cheese, you are seriously missing out!

Rotisserie Chicken with Kale $23

Because I love the Palace Kitchen fries so much, I often sub the mashed potatoes that accompany the rotisserie chicken for fries. The chicken is really amazing. Tender, and full of smoky flavor. They debone the breast, so the only bone on that piece is the attached wing. The portion is large, it's an entire half chicken, and good for sharing. I tend to love white meat, so I need to find a dark meat lover to split this meal with. The Palace Kitchen is always changing up the accompaniments and sauces with the chicken, and I have yet to find a pairing that I didn't love.

Another favorite dish of mine is the Whole Idaho Trout ($23). I usually don't eat fish when the head is still attached, but the trout at Palace Kitchen is outstanding. I even eat the crispy and flavorful skin!

And of course, dessert. This time we skipped dessert since it was late, and well, we were full! Of course we've tried the Dahlia Triple Coconut Cream Pie, and if you like coconut, you will love this pie. I've made it once, the recipe is available in Tom Douglas' Seattle Kitchen cookbook (link below). It's alot of work, there is even coconut in the crust. Fantastic! One of my favorite desserts is their fruit crisps. They come to you piping hot, in a little footed dish with a scoop of ice cream. Yum! And of course the Dahlia Creme Caramel - Super rich, and sweet, and very decadent. Another great dessert option.

The Palace Kitchen only accepts reservations for a group of 6 or more, however the wait isn't so bad. We try to avoid Friday or Saturday night between 7-9, but even so, the wait usually doesn't exceed 15-20 minutes, and we can wait in the bar and munch on pistachios. The Palace Kitchen also has a good Happy Hour in the bar too! I have never had a dish I didn't love at The Palace Kitchen, you really can't go wrong!

Palace Kitchen
Downtown Seattle
2030 5th Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121

Dinner: Everyday 5:00pm - 1:00am
Happy Hour in the Bar only: Everyday 4:30 - 6:30

I also love Tom Douglas's cookbooks for inspiration and recipes for some of the famous dishes are even available in the books! I've provided links to the ones I own below...




Palace Kitchen on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment