Monday, February 21, 2011

Recipe - Monica's Butter Toffee

Last Christmas I decided to try making toffee. My first attempt was using a recipe I found online and I failed miserably! After stirring the mixture constantly for about 45 minutes, I ended up with a sheet of wet burnt sugar and oil.  I felt discouraged, and didn't think I would ever be able to pull it off.   I learned that the separation of the sugar and oil is caused from several different factors.  If you don't stir enough, or if you stir too much.  Also if the temperature of the toffee is changed too drastically, like by pouring it on to a cold metal sheet pan, which is likely the mistake I made.  I started researching different techniques and after a couple of failed attempts, I finally came up with this version.  It's easy to do, no constant stirring, and so far, I haven't had the butter separation problem!

Monica's Butter Toffee


Makes 32 servings
  • 4 cups butter, salted (do not substitute)
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Equipment:
  • 1 full sheet pan or 2 jelly roll pans
  • Candy Thermometer
  • Large heavy bottomed pot
  • Parchment paper or silicone baking mats
  • Silicone spoon spatula
Prepare the baking sheets. I used one large full sheet pan, but two jelly roll pans, or lipped cookie sheets will work as well. Cover the sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat works well too. Keep the sheets in a warm place, if possible, near the stove for an easy transfer.

In a large heavy bottomed pot using a candy thermometer clipped to the side, melt the butter on medium heat. Once the butter is almost all melted, add the sugar and salt.


 Mix vigorously with a silicone spoon spatula until the butter and sugar have completely combined. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir occasionally.


 Allow the mixture to continue to boil until the color darkens and the temperature reaches 290 degrees F.


Stir the mixture again and turn off the heat and pour immediately into the prepared pan(s). Let the toffee sit, undisturbed, until cool. Once it has set, use your hands to break the toffee into chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment