Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Review - Island Soul Caribbean Restaurant - Seattle, WA

Island Soul Restaurant

I headed south to meet a friend for dinner in Columbia City.  We didn't have a set place to dine, so we wandered through the neighborhood until we found something.  We decided on Island Soul.  I had been there once before, but it's been quite a while so I didn't remember what I previously ordered... I just remembered that the Habanero Hot Sauce was really good!

Island Soul is a small restaurant with brightly colored walls and Caribbean style art.  We settled into a table and started to look through the menu.  They serve everything from fried catfish, to pork ribs, to oxtail and goat.  Yes, goat.  

Coconut Corn Muffin $1.50

We started our meal with a couple of Coconut Corn Muffins.  They were small, not quite mini muffin sized, but close.  They are good, but sweet and more coconut than corn muffin.  They are filled with flakes of sweetened coconut, and moist.  

Island Soul BBQ Pork Spareribs $14.75

I decided on the pork ribs for dinner.  It was a pretty small portion, three ribs and a pile of rice.  The ribs were tender, not quite fall off the bone tender but close.  The molasses based BBQ sauce on the ribs was sweet and tangy.  The ribs weren't too fatty, which I appreciated.  I chose the red beans and rice on the side and I loved it! The rice & beans is cooked in coconut milk with peppers and onions.  The rice was cooked perfectly, it wasn't mushy, and it wasn't dry.  

Overall, Island Soul is good - I don't know that I would order the BBQ ribs again but I would like to go back and try the catfish, or the whole tilapia!  The owner greeted us as we finished our meal and he was really friendly and seemed enthusiastic about his restaurant and the food.  It's nice to see such personality in a restaurant!

Island Soul Restaurant
Columbia City
4869 Rainier Ave S
Seattle, WA 98118 

Monday – Thursday 12:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday 12:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday 1:00pm - 5:00pm

Island Soul on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment