Thursday, April 21, 2011

Review - Root Table - Ballard - Seattle, WA

Root Table

Entering into Root Table is how I imagine it feels to be transported to a treehouse in Thailand.  Everything is made from raw cuts of wood, some intricately carved into sculptures.  Each chair and table is unique.




After shopping at the Farmer's Market on a Sunday the restaurant was pretty dead, there was only one other party there... It was nice to get away from the bustle for a quiet lunch.

My SO decided he wanted to order a bunch of small plates instead of an entree, so he started with the Chicken Satay.

Satay Chicken and Peanut Sauce $6

The Chicken Satay is served with garlic bread and peanut sauce - The chicken is charred nicely, and it's tender and full of flavor.  I didn't have any of his this time, but we've had this dish in the past.  It's good, the garlic bread isn't great, but it's a step up from the wonder bread that usually accompanies Chicken Satay!

Beef Kabobs $5

Thin slices of beef served with a half of a fresh jalapeno - I didn't try this dish, but my SO liked it.  I just took a pic..

Curry Corn Fritters $5

I loved these corn fritters!  They were super crunchy and stuffed full of corn!  They are served with sweet chili sauce, which is a great condiment that you can buy at Asian markets for like $2 a bottle.   It's garlic, it's sweet, and it's not as spicy as you'd think.  The Corn Fritters are Root Table are light and crisp, and perfectly cooked.  The curry flavor is really light and actually is non-existent once you dip it in the chili sauce.

Cayenne Tofu $5

So I was expecting this tofu dish to be spicy.  When I read Cayenne - I expect heat.  These were so mild, I could barely tell there was any cayenne.  The tofu was overcooked, so it became spongy, if you like that kind of thing, this dish may be for you.  I don't.  I love Salt & Pepper Tofu, you can find it at most chinese restaurants - and this was just a weak variation of that dish.  The saving grace - This was served with the same sweet chili sauce that the Corn Fritters came with.  I don't think I'd order this again.  

Papaya Prawn Salad $8

I loved this salad... It was crunchy, and hearty and full of flavor. The prawns were cooked perfectly with just a tiny bit of char from the grill.  The dressing is sweet and acidic, the salad tastes almost like the carrots and papaya were pickled.  It's got a lot of flavor, and you may want to order a lighter dish on the side as opposed to having this salad as your main entree.

I hope this place is successful - The prices are good and the food is decent.   The flavors are unique, with influences from Burma, Thailand, India and China.   We'll definitely be back soon!

Root Table
Ballard
2213 NW Market St
Seattle, WA 98107

Lunch: Tuesday - Sunday 11:30am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday  4:00pm - 11:00pm
Closed Mondays

Happy Hour: Tuesday - Sunday 4:00pm - 6:00pm and 9:00pm - 11:00pm

Root Table on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. would say that was the only good thing about the Root Table - after reading the great reviews we were looking forward to what we thought would be a great food experience - not so. We found the the tables clunky and not comfortable and the food was so so

    ReplyDelete