Sunday, April 10, 2011

Review - Brenda's French Soul Food - San Francisco, CA

Watermelon Sweet Tea
Brenda's French Soul Food

Who doesn't like to indulge in a little Soul Food from time to time?  Wait, what is French Soul Food? It turns out that Brenda's serves up New Orleans inspired cuisine.  It's a little Cajun, it's a little Creole.  It's French Soul Food.


Beignet Flight $9

We couldn't decide on which Beignets to try, so started our brunch with the Beignet Flight.  One of each flavor - Plain, Chocolate with molten Ghiradelli Chocolate inside, Granny Smith Apple with Cinnamon Honey Butter and Crawfish, with Cayenne, Scallions and Cheddar.  In my mind, I though that the Beignets were going to be a test of how great this place really is.  I remember how light and good the plain Beignets at Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans are, and I was mentally prepared to compare them.  The Beignets were ok, They were a little heavy, and very dense.  I love the creative stuffing ideas, but these kind of missed the mark.  They were just too heavy for my liking.  Aww... bummer. 

Crawfish Pot Pie $12

Next, I decided to try the special, the Crawfish Pot Pie.  It was good.  It wasn't fantastic, but it was good.  When I think of Pot Pie, I imagine a pastry crust, I imagine an actual Pie Crust.  Is that asking too much? I am severely let down when restaurants decide to cover some stew with an oversized crouton, or an English Muffin, or three in this case.  I want a PIE.  Not stew and muffins.  But, after I got over that, I realized it was actually not bad.  I just couldn't think of my brunch as a Pot Pie.  The dish was filled with crawfish in a slightly spicy sauce, topped with english muffins and melted cheddar cheese.  Not bad, but not really great. 

Egg & Bacon Tartine $9.50

My SO had the Egg and Bacon Tartine - It was pretty much a piece of toasted french bread topped with bacon and scrambled eggs.  The Sauce was like a salsa, and I think there was cheese.  It was all right. Nothing really to write home about if you know what I mean?  The potatoes were kind of mush, not really crispy home fries.  

Overall, I think the highlight was the super super sweet Watermelon Tea - I didn't love the food, and it wasn't really worth traveling out of our way to visit.  I don't know that we will go back - Perhaps for dinner sometime?  Maybe that's better? 

Brenda's French Soul Food
Civic Center/Tenderloin
652 Polk St
San Francisco, CA 94102

Breakfast: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday 8:00am - 3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm

Brenda's French Soul Food on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment