Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Review - Barriga Llena - Seattle, WA

Barriga Llena

Nestled in a very brightly colored strip of shops is Barriga Llena.  The are self described as Mexico City Style Tortas.  A Mexican Torta is basically a sandwich, often filled with delicious marinated meats from Carne Asada to Carnitas.
Wall Mural in Barriga Llena

The restaurant is really bright and surprisingly clean - not what I was expecting, perhaps due to a personal bias about restaurants on Aurora.  You order at the counter a take a seat - The menu, although not really huge, took us a little while to digest...


I decided on the Toluquena - Carne Asada (marinated beef) and Chorizo (sausage), and it's stuffed with lettuce, avocado, cheese, tomato and beans.
 
Barriga Llena Toluquena $7.99

The bread is soft on the inside and crisp on the outside - The sandwich is massive, I only ate half and I was completely full.  I have to say, although good, it was on the bland side - The flavors of the Carne Asada and Chorizo were mild, which was surprising - I was expecting a burst of flavors, but the sandwich could use some additional seasoning.  The tables all have pickled Jalapenos and hot sauce, so adding those to the sandwich helped alot.


My SO had the Diabla (Devil's Torta) - It was filled with Carne Enchilada, or spicy steak, pineapple and Oaxacan cheese.

Barriga Llena Diabla $7.99

Now this torta was unique - It had giant chunks of canned pineapple with spicy messy steak chunks.  It also had lettuce, avocado, tomato and the Oaxacan Cheese... The pic above doesn't quite show the magnitude of this sandwich, so I took another...

Barriga Llena Diabla $7.99

At first, it was kind of odd, chunks of pineapple in a sandwich?  But with the heat from the steak and the additional hot sauce, it had a sweet cooling effect.  I think I liked his messy sandwich more than I liked my own!

Barriga Llena may not be worth venturing on a special trip, but if you're in the area, and in the mood for a non-traditional sandwich, maybe give them a try - We'll be back sometime, maybe I'll try something different than the Toluquena...

Barriga Llena
7815 Aurora Ave N
Seattle, WA 98103

Hours: Tuesday - Saturday 11:00am - 8:00pm
            Sunday 11:00am - 7:00pm
            Closed Mondays

Barriga Llena on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Monica, nice description. Now I am absolutely hungry but Barriga Llena does not open for another hour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike! Did you make to Barriga Llena? What did you think?

    ReplyDelete