Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Back to the Brave Horse Tavern - SLU - Seattle, WA

Back to Brave Horse Tavern

So I knew it wouldn't be long before we decided to go back to Brave Horse Tavern... And I know I JUST reviewed this place a week ago... But I didn't take pictures because the lighting was so dim. We went on a Sunday afternoon around 4pm, and it was so chill.  A totally different scene than what we experienced opening weekend.  The daytime vibe is great - the place is so well lit, and it seems like a place you can go with a group of friends, a deck of cards and ravenous appetites.  


We grabbed a seat and looked over the menu.  I knew I wanted a pretzel, but which one?  I was inclined to order the one with clams.  But I was so hungry - I wanted to try the BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich... Hmm... dilemma. Clams and BBQ Brisket - Nah.  Too much food. 

Brave Horse Tavern Burger & Fries

So I knew without asking what my SO was getting - The Painted Hills Chuck House Burger ($6) with Cheddar Cheese ($1) and fries ($3).  I know I am repeating myself but I LOVE that this place serves up the same fries as Palace Kitchen, these are the best fries I have ever had.  The burger here is solid.  It's so good, and at $6, what a deal.  Love it. 

BBQ Beef Brisket Sandwich $8

I went with the Smoky BBQ Brisket Dip, and honestly, I forgot to dip the sandwich.  The sandwich comes with arugula and pickled onions - It was amazing.  The hoagie was toasted perfect, crunchy on the outside and soft inside.  The brisket was tender and falling apart, and coated with just the right amount of sauce.  I loved the peppery arugula and the tart pickled red onions.  The sandwich was messy, but not so messy that I got it on my white shirt.  :) This one is definitely something to return for!  I should have ordered fries, but I knew a pretzel was coming so I just stole a few from my SO. 

Two Pretzels with All Of The Above $10

All of the above, aka, three dipping sauces.  Sour Cream & Crispy Onion - This dip was kind of boring... it's literally sour cream with some fried onion flakes on top.  Cheddar Pimento Spread - Hmm... Didn't love it.  Chunks of cheddar and pimento, it could use more flavor... Smoked Peanut Butter & Bacon - This was good, the peanut butter was kind of bland, it wasn't outstanding, but it was the best of the three.  I wasn't thrilled with any of these, so I decided to give the mustards a try...

L to R Smoked Porter, Apple Honey, Super Hot

Now we're talkin!!!  The Smoked porter was sweet and mild for a mustard, you can taste the smokiness and I loved chunky mustard where you can feel the grains.  YUM! The Apple Honey was not as sweet but more robust, I kind of wonder if I got this wrong, and the darker one was the Apple Honey?  Anyways, the Super Hot is where it's at.  You know the feeling when Wasabi hits the back of your nose, and you feel like your head might implode, then all of a sudden, it goes away?  That is the equivalent of what this mustard is.  So be warned.  I found that this one mixed with the dark mustard was awesome!

Brave Horse Tavern
South Lake Union
301 Terry Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109

Hours: 11:00am - midnight


I also love Tom Douglas's cookbooks for inspiration and recipes for some of the famous dishes are even available in the books!  I've provided links to the ones I own below...








No comments:

Post a Comment